What Are Dog Pee Pads and How Do They Work?
Whether you have new puppies that need to be potty trained or aging dogs experiencing bathroom mishaps, dog pee pads are a helpful tool for all dog owners.
They're especially useful for those who live in an apartment complex, or if you and your dog travel by car for long road trips, where it may not be as convenient to pee outside.
All About Dog Pee Pads
For those who are wondering, “what are dog pee pads?”, dog pee pads are moisture-absorbing pads that are used to help train your young puppy or dog. Similar to a baby’s diapers, they:
- Absorb urine into sponge-like layers of the pee pads for dogs
- Enclose the liquid with a leak-proof top layer of material for odor control
If your puppy is still not an expert at asking to be let out to use the bathroom, puppy pads are an excellent tool to help them avoid making messes in inconvenient places. These pee pads for dogs are also great options for dogs who have reached old age and can’t always wait to do their business outside or incontinent dogs with health issues.
You can get pee pads with a leak-proof plastic liner so the urine soaks in and doesn't leak through the floor. Some super absorbent versions turn liquid into quick-drying gel so the potty patch stays dry. The gel also helps prevent tracking from your pup's four paws. Other pee pads have odor control by incorporating a fresh scent or lavender scent.
How To Use Dog Pee Pads
Pee pads for dogs are convenient and relatively simple to use. There are three main ways that dog pee pads can be used for canines. These options include puppy potty training for a new puppy, increased security for car travel, and for elderly dogs with mobility problems.
The Best Potty Training Method: Puppy Pee Pads
Many pet parents use dog pee pads as puppy training pads. If you're looking to pad train your pup, try the following steps:
- Put your puppy in a collar, harness, or leash. When you think that he is about to pee, move him toward the pee pad or place him on top, similar to how you would train a kitten to use cat litter.
- Every time your puppy pees on the pee pad, pet him and tell him what a good job is doing. Make sure to use key phrases like pee, potty, or bathroom.
- Give your puppy a food-based reward like a treat each time he repeats this process in the same spot.
- Create a peeing schedule for your puppy. Try taking him to the pee pad once every hour, and eventually less often, to remind him that he will need to use the pee pad regularly.
- If you notice your puppy using the pee pads on his own, praise him and reward him immediately after he uses the pee pads for dogs.
- Change your puppy’s pee pad a few times per day or when you notice that it looks moist. This will avoid bad smells and encourage your puppy to use the pee pad more often.
Dog Pee Pads and Travel
Traveling with your pup by car for an extended period of time can be stressful. The good news is, Pogi's pee pads are super handy and offer extra protection. To use dog pee pads in a travel situation, you can:
- Line your dog’s area of the car with pee pads. Make sure to lay them flat and overlap each other. If your dog has free reign of the car on road trips, attempt to line one specific part of the car where your dog feels most comfortable.
- A few days before the road trip, layout the dog pee pads and invite your dog to inspect the area. Make sure they understand that they are allowed to use the pee pad.
- During the trip, reward your dog with a treat and praise every time they ask to be let out or use the pee pad. This will encourage this behavior and make sure that no messes or potty accidents end up in the vehicle.
- What to do with a used dog pee pad? Throw away the used pee pads for dogs at every opportunity. Replace them with clean pads so that your dog knows there is more clean space available.
Your Senior Dog and Pee Pads
When you have a senior dog that just can’t make it outside anymore or a dog with mobility issues that sometimes have potty accidents, the ideal solution is using potty pads. They can help avoid unsightly stains and smells in your home. To successfully use dog pee pads for these reasons, consider taking the following steps:
- Unfold a dog pee pad and allow your dog to sniff it. Once your dog is comfortable with it, leave it in the room or crate with them.
- Place the dog pee pad on your dog’s bed, couch, floor, or favorite sleeping area. This will help catch any mess that happens while your dog is asleep. Also, place one by the outside door in case your dog pees while asking to be let out.
- When you see your senior dog using the pee pad, reward them with praise, affection, and treats. This will help your dog understand that it’s okay if they make a mess on a pee pad.
The Pros of Pogi’s Dog Pee Pad
Pogi’s Dog Pee Plant-Based Training Pads are great for dogs and puppies alike. Available in convenient 20 pack, 40 pack, and 50 pack options, these pee pads are some of the best dog pee pads available today. Many dog trainers recommend them as dog training pads. Additional benefits of Pogi’s Dog Pee Pads include:
Easy Clean-Up: Once your dog has successfully used the pee pads for dogs, simply pick it up, fold it, and throw it away. Our super-absorbent layers won’t leak, making for easy clean-up. Pogi’s Poop Bags are also a great addition to making clean-up even easier.
Optional Adhesives: Optional adhesives are available to adhere the pee pad to slick tile or slippery wood floors, making them more convenient for your pet to use.
Your Canine’s New Best Friend
With environmentally friendly packaging and materials, and super-absorbent layers, Pogi’s Dog Pee Pads will help potty time much easier for your canine. In addition to Pogi’s Grooming Wipes and Poop Bags, you’ll have everything you need to make potty time go smoothly.
Whether training a brand new puppy, traveling by car, or helping your lifelong friend avoid making messes indoors, these pee pads for dogs are the perfect addition to any dog lover’s home.